Flower Canes – Success!

Hello world!  My blogging plan got a little sidetracked the last few days with first, a trip out of town and second, a bout of the flu.  Not back to 100% yet, but time to get back on track here.

Last night, after vegging in my comfy chair for a couple days not feeling well, I decided enough was enough and I couldn’t stand sitting for another minute.  I had a lot of opportunity to look at PC pics on Pinterest, Facebook, Flickr, and various blogs that I follow and got some great ideas for techniques I want to try.

I have made a lot of canes since I started working with PC, but not many intricate flower canes.  So I decided to try my hand at this tutorial.  I didn’t vary much from the actual tutorial because some of my attempts at flowers in the past have not ended well and I felt I needed to just follow the directions on this one!

After making a couple Skinner blends, rolling them up, and quartering them, I had this start to my cane:

2013-10-21 19.12.44

I then reduced this, cut it in half, put the two halves beside each other, then reduced it again.  The green and blue parts were then worked towards the inside of the cane, the can was rounded, reduced some more, and cut into 6 pieces.  Each piece was then pinched to change the logs into petal shapes.  Here’s what it looked like at that point!


2013-10-21 19.44.46

I was concerned because the purple and green blends were striated, not smooth.  But it turned out, that once reduced, it didn’t matter.  The next step was to pack translucent clay around the edges of the cane and making it round to aid in reducing it.  At about 3 inches across, this was the biggest cane I had made so far (not huge, but big for me!).  This shows the first slice I made when the cane was still pretty fat to make sure the flower was holding its shape:

2013-10-21 20.15.50


I continued to reduce the cane, cutting it in half every once in a while to make various sizes of canes.  I’m pretty happy with it!  What do you think?

2013-10-21 21.12.36-1


Just as an experiment, I made a few beads to see how I want to use these…  I will probably coat these with liquid translucent clay for big shine.

2013-10-22 18.01.21


Uh oh!  The flat one on the left looks like a hairy eyeball.  :/

Till later!

Nee Nee Ree


3 Comments to "Flower Canes – Success!"

  1. October 23, 2013 - 6:56 am | Permalink

    Beautiful result! Have a love of flower canes and have not done one like this, but you have my interest peeked.

  2. October 23, 2013 - 6:14 am | Permalink

    Really lovely cane, I haven’t tried much of that, you make it looks easy although I know it’s not 😀
    You’ve inspired me to consider giving it another shot!

Leave a Reply